By Engr. Leonardo V. Surio
Dean, College of Environmental Design & Engineering
IE Chairman P.M. Galvez with ProPlanner Asia Pacific Managing Director, Mr. Robin Owens and guests professors from De LaSalle University.
Senior IE’s (17 students) attended the three-day training session on BU’s newly-acquired IE software program, the ProPlanner. The training was conducted by Mr. Robin D. Owens (BSIE, MMM, MBA), Asia Pacific Managing Director, last June 16-18, 2014 at the IT Bldg. Room 201.
ProPlanner is composed of three very useful tools for IE students, which is a big help in their classroom training and in their on-the-job assignment. These three modules are:
• ProTime Estimation – which organizes time and motion study elemental data in an easy-to-use spreadsheet format. Benefits of using the ProTime are:
• It greatly reduces estimation time;
• It improves accuracy and consistency of activity times;
• It identifies lean improvement opportunities;
• It generates time study reports automatically, that aids in the analysis and methods improvement;
• FlowPlanner – automatically generates flow diagrams and calculates statistics such as travel distance, time, and costs. Application of FlowPlanner enables IE’s to see how layouts should be arranged and where excessive people and material handling can be eliminated from the process. The ultimate result is a smooth flow with less waste.
• ProBalance – was designed by Industrial Engineers to create the most efficient single- and mixed-model assembly lines quickly and easily, while minimizing errors often found during deployment. Whether assigning new assembly lines, adding new products and/or product enhancements to existing lines, or changing product mix and production rate, ProBalance will ensure the most efficient design possible.
Senior IE students who participated in the ProPlanner Training Session with Dean Surio and P.M. Galvez and Sherry Anne Tadeo.
During the 3-day training session, the IE students were given the opportunity to actually apply the 3 modules on sample problems. Mr. Owens ably conducted the lecture portion, after which, he guided the students on the hands-on application. Certificates of Participation were given the IE students by Mr. Robin Owens and Dean Leonardo Surio.
Indeed, the first batch of the IE students who have undergone the ProPlanner training are very fortunate; getting the learnings from the IE guru himself, Mr. Robin Owens, who had extensive industry experience as an IE and as manufacturing manager of leading companies in the US, like Boeing.
With the acquisition of this valuable IE software, BU’s IE should become more competitive when it comes to industry- and corporate-sourcing for IE applicants.