Be with the BEST, be with BALIUAG UNIVERSITY
What do you consider as the best contribution of BU to you?
– Being a student/scholar of BU for [the] 9 long years, “Sa BU pa lang, sanay na kami sa sistema. Sa review center nga, kilala na ‘yung BU, isa na sa mga inaabanagan every year.”
– “Kapag maganda ang foundation… ‘yung review, nagiging review talaga. Hindi ‘yung parang noon ka pa lang mag-aaral.”
Do you have any pre-board exam ritual?
– Hmm. Actually, you don’t really need any kind of regimen. Study hard and let Him take care of the rest. The whole time of review… which we have stayed in Manila, I attended masses regularly, every Thursday in St. Jude Parish and every Sunday in Quiapo church. Then, on the day before the exams, I attended [mass] in Quiapo church and thrived my way to the parish priest to have all my stuffs for the exams to be blessed (including the envelope, pen/pencil, rosary and scapular).
– I diligently studied hard in my 5 years at BU and in the review. So, the rest goes to Him. On the day before the exams, my friends and I decided to take a breather from the reviews [already] and instead, go church hopping. We visited 7 churches. Then, that night as well, we prayed all together.
When did you realize that you were actually CPAs already?
– It took a while. *chuckles* On the day of the exam result release, I was actually scheduled for a job briefing. I was in a pool of job applicants. The other applicants were in suit and tie, while I was just in polo shirt, denim jeans and rubber shoes. Imagine?! I was in the firm when my cell was literally flooded with messages, but, by that time, I still don’t want to believe the news of me being 6th placer. Then, suddenly, personnel from the firm’s HRD asked me so casually, “James, alam mo na ba ‘yung balita?” There, told myself, “That should confirm it.” So, the rest is history.
– I was literally on eye-freeze on the net that day of the exam result release. We have this friend at an auditing firm (the auditing firms get to have the results hours earlier than public release), she texted me about the results. Thing is, I don’t have any cell load that day!! Seriously. *laughs* I was not able to text her back, instead, get ahead with SNS. Then, in just a matter of minutes after the results were officially released by PRC, flood of warm congratulations and all jerk in my FB account and cell.
Any advice for the future BU CPAs?
– Improve every day. Give yourself a reason to study hard more. And, most importantly, owe everything to Him.
– “Personally, I believe na ‘yung mga susunod na batch sa’min, mas magagaling talaga.” Also, being included in the roster of topnotchers is beyond your control, it is given to you. Don’t pressure yourself too much, live a life.